The Department of Accounting dated back to when Soochow University was still in Suzhou city, Mainland China. The department was reestablished when the University was relocated to Taiwan in 1951 and started offering the first undergraduate accounting program in Taiwan. After several significant reforms and innovation toward its goal of being distinguished and professional, Accounting Department in Soochow University has emerged as the leading Accounting education center in Taiwan.
Important milestones include:
- In 1954, “Department of Accounting”was adopted as the formal name of the department, from the original “Department of Commerce Accounting.”
- In 1973, the Graduate Institute of Accounting was founded as one of the first group that instituted graduate schools of accounting in Taiwan. The Institute was later merged into the Department of Accounting and became its Master Program.
- In 1999, the department began its Executive Master of Professional Accountancy Program to offer advanced practical courses for policymakers and professional accountants.
- In 2018, Executive Master of Professional Accountancy Program started a specialized Accounting and Law curriculum, specifically designed for legal professionals who aimed at a career expertise in tax fraud and financial crime. It is a pioneer interdisciplinary program ever offered in Accounting Department in Taiwan.
- In 2020, the department pioneered another interdisciplinary area in Master Program,“AI in Auditing,”focused on the new innovative field of auditing, which integrating with artificial intelligence and digital technology.
Current enrollments are over 1,000 in undergraduate program and over 100 in the graduate programs. Up until now, the department has seen more than 10,000 undergraduate students and over 1,000 graduate students graduated from its programs, and has in effect trained the largest number of accounting professionals in Taiwan.
The mission of the Soochow University Department of Accounting is "to cultivate accounting professionals with conscientiousness and gregariousness”. Our goal is to provide an accounting education that emphasizes on: (1) establishing professional core knowledge which covers both theories and practices; (2) facilitating integration of interdisciplinary knowledge; (3) cultivating professional ethics and gregariousness. We insist on the tenet which balances quantity with quality in a rigorous education under the effort of our faculty, staff, and students. We earned a reputation of excellence among the accounting profession and society, and our alumni had achieved outstanding performance everywhere in the industries.
In recent years, our department dedicated to maintaining a learning environment that exposes our students to various diversified, globalized, and interdisciplinary information technology issues. Together with the rigorous accounting training, our students will be equipped with the necessary knowledge for today’s complex business and regulatory environment. We expect our productive faculty to continue the current momentum of flourishing in the future. In addition, we will continue to enhance the relationship with similar programs abroad, and actively seek close cooperation with universities in the United States and Mainland China.