Add.: Dept. of Accounting No. 56, Sec. 1, Guiyang St., Taipei City
TEL.: (02) 2311-1531
Ext. for Undergraduate Program: 2590 (English Service)
Ext. for Master Program: 2561
Ext. for Executive Master Program: 2563
Dept. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Fundamental Information of Unit
The Department of Accounting dated back to when Soochow University was still in Suzhou city, Mainland China. The department was reestablished when the University was relocated to Taiwan in 1951, and started offering the first undergraduate accounting program in Taiwan. The department was originally named "Department of Commerce Accounting”, but was later changed to "Department of Accounting” in 1954. In 1973, the Graduate Institute of Accounting was founded as one of the oldest graduate schools of accounting in Taiwan. In 1991, following the policies of Ministry of Education, the Graduate Institute was merged into the Department of Accounting and became its Master Program. The department began its Executive Master of Professional Accountancy Program in 1999, to offer advanced practical courses to policymakers and professional accountants. Up until now, the department has seen more than 10,000 undergraduate students and over 800 graduate students graduated from its programs, and has in effect trained the largest number of accounting professionals in Taiwan.
Development Highlight and Teaching Features
The mission of Soochow University Department of Accounting is "to cultivate accounting professionals with conscientiousness and gregariousness”. Our goal is to provide an accounting education that emphasizes: (1) formation professional core knowledge which covers both theories and practices; (2) facilitation of cross-disciplinary integration of knowledge; (3) cultivation professional ethics and gregariousness. We believe in rigorous education which balancing quantity with quality. Through the effort of our faculty, staff, and students, we earned a reputation of excellence among accounting profession and the society, and our alumni had achieved outstanding performance everywhere in the industries. The main features of our curriculum are below:
1. Small classes for all accounting core curriculum, accompanied by sufficient lab hours – the first accounting program in Taiwan with such feature.
2. Professional accounting curriculum incorporating case studies, strengthening students’ independent thinking and communication skill – pioneered feature among accounting programs in Taiwan.
3. Uniform course outlines, uniform textbooks, and uniform exam for accounting core courses, to ensure solid knowledge foundation.
4. Specifically planned accounting information courses tuned to current professional trend and development, establishing students’ ability to adapt to the rapid changing international development of information requirement and technology.
5. Extensive exposure to global renowned scholars from abroad, mainland China, or other esteemed universities in Taiwan, offering students a full grasp of internationalization and diversification – leading our peers in Taiwan in emphasizing this feature.
6. Provide strong advising function, encourage student participation in activities, and promote students’ balanced growth with ethical, intellectual, physical, social skills, and aesthetic education.