*History

 SCU was reactivated in 1954. By that time, Department of Foreign Languages (Department of English Language) was one of the five earliest founded departments, and regulated by Law School.

 In 1972, School of Foreign Languages and Cultures expanded with groups of Eastern Language and German Language.

 In 1975, the three groups were changed into Departments of English Language, Eastern Languages, and German Language.

 In 1980, Department of Eastern Language was renamed to Department of Japanese Language and Culture, and was regulated by School of Human Science then.

 In 1984, with the efforts of former president Dr. Yang, Chi-hsiang and Prof. TSAI, Mao-Feng (is now our honored dean), the name of School of Foreign Languages and Cultures was officially included in     university’s chronology, with three departments of English Language and Literature, Japanese Language and Culture, and German Language and Culture.

 Department of Japanese Language and Culture set up graduate and PhD programs in 1980 and 1990 respectively.

 In 1997, German Department was renamed to Department of German Language and Culture. In 2002, they started to enroll students for graduate program.

 "The Graduate Program of Comparative Literature” of English Department was founded in 2001. In 2003, English Department was renamed to Department of English Language and Literature.

 The Language Center was founded in 1965. At first it was regulated by Department of Foreign Languages and Cultures, and was later regulated by School of Liberal Arts in 1983. Until 1984, the School of Foreign Languages and Cultures was founded, the Language Center was then included in it. But in 1995 August, the Language Center was directly regulated by the university, and responsible for non-English major course of "English Listening” and maintenance of laboratory and equipment. In August 1997, it was again regulated by School of Foreign Languages and Cultures. In 2007, it was renamed to "Language Teaching Center.”

 

|Goto Top |